This week I had the opportunity to lead a digital marketing discussion with an amazing group of San Francisco based mom entrepreneurs at Radiant Workspace. The insights shared were inspiring, especially considering everyone who attended juggles the joys of motherhood while simultaneously running a business! By the end of the evening, I had a serious girl crush on every person in the room. Shout-out to the powerful group of mom entrepreneurs from Main Street Mamas.
The dialogue centered around a few digital marketing pain points that many businesses face, and key takeaways on how to address those challenges. Here is an overview of our discussion for you to take back to your business!
I’m uncomfortable with talking about myself or promoting my brand - how do I promote my business without feeling “braggy”?
- Promoting your business isn’t bragging - your accomplishments qualify your business and position you as a desirable product/service.
- Weave it into your overall messaging/communication - work those accolades and success stories into your content calendar. Space them out, and pay attention to engagement and conversion on those posts. You may be surprised by the results.
How can I make sure I’m not being annoying with social media posts and email blasts?
- Know your audience - What are they expecting from you? Where do they engage with your content? Have they opted in to receive your content?
- Know your channel - consider the lifetime of the post, consider the frequency with which your audience is logging on, consider the algorithm of the platform, and consider whether this outreach is direct (i.e. email) vs community posting (i.e. posting to a Facebook group).
- Set expectations and be consistent - when will your audience see content from you, where will it be posted, how will it be communicated, what will you be saying.
- Make content meaningful - tell a story, find a human or emotional connection.
- Know your numbers - Which content receives the most engagement? Which content drives the best conversion rates?
How can I build an email list?
- Offer something in exchange for emails - a download, access to your space or site, ask people to sign up to hear about new product/service launches, access to an event, etc.
- Make it part of the process - if they are buying something from you, ask for their email at checkout or registration.
What should I be spending my time on? How can I get the most out of my time/money in my digital marketing efforts?
- You’re not alone - This is a question every business, large or small, asks itself every single day, and something they review and adjust for on an ongoing basis.
- Know your numbers - engagement and conversion metrics tell a big story, and can help you focus your time/energy on what works and what doesn’t.
- Outsource - hire an expert to build your strategy and implement your campaigns. They will likely do it in a fraction of the time it might take you to do it (because you’re already wearing so many hats as the founder of your company!), and it will give you all those hours back to focus on expansion, growth, and building your business (and spending time with your family)!
Speaking of outsourcing...interested in discussing digital marketing for your company? Let's connect 1:1.